Center for Joint Replacement
A Specialized Center, Centered Around You
When asked why they come to us for joint replacement surgery, our patients simply say, “Why go anywhere else?”
St. Vincent's program spans the entire joint replacement experience and is built on the things that matter most: clinical excellence, innovation, and patient education.
We are proud to have some of the highest trained orthopedic surgeons in Florida operating within our Joint Replacement Center. All of our surgeons share a passion for restoring active lifestyles, and many are fellowship-trained in joint replacement.
St. Vincent’s Southside and Riverside are home to award
winning Orthopedic Centers of Excellence. St. Vincent’s Riverside was the first
in the region to receive Joint Commission certification in hip & knee
surgery. Now St. Vincent’s Southside is the first in the entire nation with hip,
knee, shoulder and spine certifications.
We successfully met the requirements for certification in the following areas addressed by the Joint Commission’s Disease-Specific Care Certification Program:
- Compliance with consensus-based national standards and safety goals
- Effective use of evidence-based clinical practice guidelines to manage and optimize care
- An organized approach to performance measurement and improvement activities
Learn more about the Quality Check Certification.
Because our team is active, both academically and clinically, they have access to the latest treatments and newest technologies. They are consistently among the first in the region to perform cutting-edge and innovative orthopedic surgeries. A few of our many accomplishments include:
- The first in Northeast Florida to offer Pre-operative Joint Replacement Education classes. Patient Education prior to Joint Replacements has been proven to provide better outcomes and higher patient satisfaction.
- First in Northeast Florida to offer a custom partial knee replacement. This procedure involves a minimal incision and less bone removal.
- First in Northeast Florida to perform minimally invasive knee and hip replacement surgery. St. Vincent’s Riverside Center of Orthopedic Excellence Medical Director, R. David Heekin, MD, FACS, is both nationally and internationally recognized for having actively pioneered this technology.
- In 2011, more than 1400 knee and 600 Hip replacements were performed at both St. Vincent's Riverside and St. Vincent's Southside. In 2012, numbers are projected to increase with added surgical days and additional surgeons.
As part of the rehabilitation process at St. Vincent’s, patients are expected to attend pre-operative education, or "PreHab," prior to undergoing Total Joint Replacement surgery. This is a one-time class offered three times weekly on Monday, Wednesday, or Friday from 1 to 2 p.m.