Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program
St. Vincent's HealthCare's Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program is designed for patients with breathing problems, which can include:
- Chronic Bronchitis
A multi-specialty team of nurses, respiratory therapists, pharmacists, dietitians, exercise physiologists, and social workers help patients achieve and maintain breathing goals.
The program is eight-weeks, with sessions held twice a week at St. Vincent's Medical Center Riverside. Each session lasts two hours and includes both education and exercise. One family member per patient is encouraged to attend the educational portion of each session.
What You Will Learn
- To understand how your lungs work
- About your lung disease
- To perform diaphragmatic and pursed lip breathing exercises when you feel short of breath
- To perform postural drainage and effective coughing techniques during periods of excessive sputum production
- Energy-saving techniques
- Relaxation techniques for handling stress
- How to develop a home exercise program
- Proper use and care of breathing equipment
- To take medication correctly
- To plan a well-balanced diet
- When to call a doctor
Most major insurance companies cover the cost of the program.