Digestive Health Services
Gastroenterology and Gastrointestinal Surgery
Gastroenterology focuses on conditions and diseases of the digestive system. This includes the mouth, esophagus, stomach, small intestine, large intestine (colon), and rectum. The digestive system is often called the gastrointestinal or GI tract.
St. Vincent’s Gastrointestinal (GI) lab helps doctors diagnose, and in some cases treat, diseases that affect the gastrointestinal tract.
Why St. Vincent's?
St. Vincent's GI lab is recognized as one of the best in North Florida. We received the 2010 HealthGrades Gastrointestinal Care Excellence Award™. Additionally, HealthGrades gave us five-stars, its highest rating, for GI surgery, treatment of GI bleeding, and gallbladder removal. HealthGrades is the nation’s leading independent healthcare ratings organization.
Our board-certified gastroenterologists perform between 600-700 GI procedures each month in our GI lab. They are assisted by a skilled staff with 180 years of collective experience performing GI procedures.
Because our GI lab is located at St. Vincent’s Medical Center Riverside, we have the on-site ability to take care of patients in the unlikely event they experience any GI procedure-related complications.
Our use of advanced technology includes:
- Capsule endoscopy (sometimes called the GI pill camera)
- Push enteroscopy (to detect lesions in the small intestine and sources of obscure bleeding of the gastrointestinal tract)
- ERCP (Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography) to diagnose and treat conditions of the bile ducts, including gallstones, scars, and cancer
- SpyGlass™ direct visualization of the bile system for gallstone removal and biopsy for suspected cancer. We were the first center in North Florida to use SpyGlass™.
- High Resolution Manometry
- Bravo pH capsule studies
- Barrx Halo treatment for Barrett's Esophagus