St. Vincent's Cancer Services
Gayle W. discovered a sizable lump in her breast in 2014 and spent a year fighting for her life. Three surgeries (including a double mastectomy), 36 rounds of radiation and eight rounds of chemotherapy later and this 40 year old mother of two is back in dental hygienist school finding her new normal.
After finding the lump, she visited the St. Vincent’s Family Medicine Center and received a referral to the Josephine H. Bryan Breast Health Center for a biopsy and to begin working with her Breast Navigator. Her type of cancer was aggressive, growing rapidly and required quick, coordinated care between many specialists. Her appointments were scheduled by her navigator and she was given weekly updates as to what appointments were coming up. Genetic testing revealed she had a 50% chance of developing ovarian cancer so she also opted to have her ovaries removed.
In addition, her family benefited from Kid’s Together Against Cancer (KTAC) , a unique children’s support group at St. Vincent’s. The cancer diagnosis began to take a toll on Gayle’s children, especially after she lost her hair. They were able to meet and identify with other children whose parents were also fighting cancer through KTAC .This free program, established by St. Vincent’s, is open to all patients regardless of where they receive treatment.
Providing Holistic Care
St. Vincent’s goal is to provide holistic care. This means treating your physical, emotional, social and spiritual needs. Recognized since 1956 as a Comprehensive Community Cancer Program we provide you:
- Quality care close to home
- Comprehensive care
- A multidisciplinary, team approach
- Information and education
- Patient-centered services
- Genetic assessment and counseling, and palliative care services
- Care monitoring and quality improvement
- Treatment planning based on evidence-based national treatment guidelines
- Clinical trials and new treatment options
- Follow-up care including a survivorship care plan
- Patient tracking through the cancer data system
For a detailed recap of the goals and accomplishments of the St. Vincent’s Cancer Program read our annual report.