Home > Health Library > Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac
Poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac are plants that have a sticky oil that can cause
an itchy, red rash. The rash often shows up in lines or streaks along with blisters or large raised areas (hives). In some people, it causes serious symptoms such as swelling and
widespread, large, oozing blisters.
Home treatment will often relieve mild symptoms.
Prescription medicine may be needed for severe reactions.
Current as of:
February 20, 2015
William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine & H. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2015 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Feeling under the weather?
Use our interactive symptom checker to evaluate your symptoms and determine appropriate action or treatment.
I Want To...
Join Our Social Network