Fla. Gov. Rick Scott announces $78 million in funding for JTB/I-95 interchange
By: First Coast News
Gov. Rick Scott was on the First Coast on Tuesday to announce that $78 million will go toward improving the J. Turner Butler Boulevard/Interstate 95 interchange.
The monies are included in the budget Scott proposed last month, according to a release from Scott's office.
"This $78 million investment means families will be safer, businesses will be able to save money and move goods faster, and Florida families won't spend nearly as much time in traffic. The great news is this funding came about as result of efficiencies by the Department of Transportation," Scott said.
"This project could essentially save lives as it improves access for those trying to reach St. Vincent's Medical Center Southside and the Mayo Clinic. For the 24,000 drivers who have an excessive wait time to get off I-95 every afternoon this will improve their commute so they can spend more quality time at home with their families, and less time on the road."
The improvements include a flyover ramp for traffic headed from I-95 south to eastbound JTB, a reconstruction of the I-95 northbound off ramp and an overpass for JTB westbound traffic to pass over westbound Belfort Road traffic.
"We appreciate the Governor's investment in Jacksonville. The I-95 / JTB intersection is a challenge for too many of our citizens, and I'm glad the Governor has prioritized this project in his budget. By relieving congestion, we'll make commutes safer and enhance commerce," said Mayor Alvin Brown.
To read the story on Firstcoastnews.com, click here: