Medical Mission Trips to Haiti
How Can I Help?
St. Vincent’s HealthCare sends teams of doctors, nurses and other medical professionals to Haiti each year with medication and medical supplies to care for a population who lacks access to basic healthcare. Working together, with the staff of the St. Boniface Hospital in the village of Fond-des-Blancs, our team of caregivers provides an array of medical services for adults and children.
What do I need to know?
- Accommodations– our team will stay in Fond-des-Blancs at the hospital’s visitor’s quarters. These are shared, dorm style rooms.
- Cost – $100 plus airfare. This cost includes all meals, transportation and accommodations.
- Passport – make sure your passport is current.
- Vaccinations – Contact St. Vincent’s Employee Health about inoculations and medications.
- Haiti is the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere.
- More than 80% of people live below the poverty line.
- Nearly 70% of people are unemployed.
- More than half of all rural households have no access to clean drinking water.
- Life expectancy is 61 years.
- About half of the population is undernourished.
- Haiti has a child mortality rate more than 11 times that of the United States.
History of the Medical Mission
In 1983, members of St. Boniface Catholic Church in Quincy, Massachusetts, started a simple "Walk for Hunger" project to help their neighbors. They raised seven thousand dollars and gave half to the needy of the parish and half to the people of Haiti.
A small delegation from the parish traveled to Haiti to make the modest contribution. Coming face to face with the poverty and destitution of the Haitian people changed the group forever. Since then, the project has grown to involve work retreats, educational and medical missions, scholarships opportunities and the construction of a small rural hospital.
Participants are welcomed from other cities and states and have included teachers, journalists, trades persons and healthcare professionals. St. Vincent’s HealthCare has been an active part of this mission since 1995.