More Than 90 Years Of Care
In 1916, when the first Daughters of Charity took over the DeSoto Sanitorium on 5th and Boulevard streets, it was one of the first hospitals in Jacksonville. Several physicians, businessmen, and clergy, including Bishop Michael J. Curley of the Diocese of St. Augustine, asked the Daughters of Charity to buy and manage the hospital. At the time, Jacksonville had a population of approximately 80,000, and about 10% were Catholic.
St. Vincent's HealthCare Timeline
- In 1919, St. Vincent's Hospital opened the School of Nursing.
- Shortly afterward, plans were made to build a larger hospital on the west bank of the St. John's River in Riverside.
- In 1928, patients were moved from the Springfield facility into the new $1 million, 200-bed hospital. That same year, St. Vincent's Administrator and a group of 18 women, mostly doctors' wives, formed the St. Vincent's Auxiliary.
- In 1939 St. Vincent's Hospital was accepted into the American Hospital Association.
- In 1942, the entire graduating class of the St. Vincent's School of Nursing entered into the Army Cadet Nurse Program. In all, 67 St. Vincent's graduates served in the Nursing Corps.
- After World War II, construction to build the West Wing began, increasing the beds to 365.
- In 1968, construction for the power plant, Maintenance and Housekeeping departments, and the catheterization labs began.
- In 1972, St. Vincent's Hospital became St. Vincent's Medical Center.
- The 1970s also marked the closing of St. Vincent's Nursing School and the opening of the new Medical Core Building, operating, and emergency rooms. The Dillon Professional Building opened in the late ‘70s.
- The 1980s brought the renovation of the East Center and West Wings, the DePaul Building and Garage, and the first Ambulatory Care (or Primary Care) Centers.
- In 1991, St. Vincent's bought Riverside Hospital and built the new St. Catherine Labouré Manor's complex on Stockton Street in 1992.
- In 1995, St. Vincent's HealthCare joined Baptist Health System to become Baptist/St. Vincent's Health System.
- In 1996, Baptist/St. Vincent's closed Riverside Hospital and built another garage, the King Street Garage.
- In 2000, when Baptist/St. Vincent's announced the two systems would separate governance, St. Vincen'ts HealthCare had the opportunity to rebuild some of the individualism that sustained it during the past 84 years.
- In 2001, St. Vincent's HealthCare associates pledged more than $1 million for the construction of new Heart and Cancer centers. The associate support of the project helped convince the public to help fund the $20 million Building A Healthier Community project.
- Over the next few years, St. Vincent's HealthCare added a new Heart & Vascular Center, a new Cancer Center, and the new Family Medicine Center, which houses the Family Practice Residency Program to provide medical training to physicians.
- In 2005, St. Vincent's HealthCare purchased St. Luke's Hospital. Founded in 1873, St. Luke's Hospital was the first private hospital in Florida.
- In 2006, St. Vincent's HealthCare opened the Spine & Brain Institute, which offers comprehensive services neurosurgery and neurological problems.
- In 2008, St. Vincent's HealthCare assumed operations at St. Luke's Hospital.