Who We Are
St. Vincent’s HealthCare is a faith-based, not-for-profit health system that has served the people of Jacksonville and the surrounding area since 1916. With the addition of St. Luke’s hospital, (now St. Vincent’s Southside) our history now extends to 1873. We are a member of Ascension, the nation’s largest Catholic and non-profit healthcare system. Today, we are recognized for providing high-quality, compassionate care to everyone we serve.
St. Vincent’s Medical Center Riverside
St. Vincent’s Riverside was founded by the Daughters of Charity in 1916 to provide health services to those who were struggling the most in North Florida. In 2016, the hospital will celebrate 100 years of service to the community
St. Vincent’s Medical Center Southside
St. Vincent’s Southside, formerly St. Luke’s, was founded in 1873 by three women who saw a need for medical care in the community. It became part of the St. Vincent’s HealthCare family in 2008 and is Florida’s oldest private hospital.
St. Vincent’s Medical Center Clay County
St. Vincent’s Clay County opened in October 2013 and has quickly become a medical home to many in the Clay County community. A hospital expansion, scheduled for completion in late summer 2016, will double the hospital’s size and add maternity and women’s services.
Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As the largest non-profit health system in the U.S. and the world’s largest Catholic health system, Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all, with special attention to persons living in poverty and those most vulnerable.
Approximately 150,000 associates and 36,000 aligned providers serve in 2,500 sites of care – including 141 hospitals and more than 30 senior living facilities – in 24 states and the District of Columbia.
Timeline of St. Vincent’s HealthCare’s History
- 1916: Daughters of Charity take over DeSoto Sanitorium in Springfield
- 1919: St. Vincent’s Hospital opens its nursing school
- 1928: Patients are moved from the Springfield facility into the new $1 million, 200-bed hospital in Riverside. In addition, the hospital’s administrator and a group of 18 women, mostly doctors’ wives, form the St. Vincent’s Auxiliary.
- 1939: St. Vincent’s Hospital is accepted into the American Hospital Association
- 1942: The entire graduating class of the St. Vincent’s School of Nursing enters the Army Cadet Nurse Program. In all, 67 St. Vincent’s graduates served in the Nursing Corps.
- After World War II, construction begins on the west wing of the hospital, increasing the beds to 365.
- 1968: Construction on the power plant, maintenance department, housekeeping department and the catheterization labs begins.
- 1972: St. Vincent’s Hospital becomes St. Vincent’s Medical Center
- 1973: St. Vincent’s School of Nursing closes
- 1977: Dillon Professional Building opens
- 1982: Major renovations on St. Vincent’s Riverside are done
- 1988: DePaul Building and garage open
- 1991: St. Vincent’s purchases Riverside Hospital
- 1992: The new St. Catherine Labouré Manor complex is built and a new emergency room and maternity suites are created
- 1995: St. Vincent’s HealthCare joins Baptist Health System to become Baptist/St. Vincent’s Health System.
- 1996: Baptist/St. Vincent’s closes Riverside Hospital and builds the King Street Garage
- 1999: Daughters of Charity and Sisters of St. Joseph join to form Ascension Health
- 2000: Baptist/St. Vincent’s announces the two systems would separate
- 2001: St. Vincent’s HealthCare associates pledge more than $1 million to create new heart and cancer centers. The associate support of the project helped convince the public to help fund the $20 million “Building a Healthier Community” project.
- 2004: A new Family Medicine Center is built and opens
- 2005: St. Vincent’s HealthCare purchases St. Luke’s Hospital, the first private hospital in Florida. St. Vincent’s also begins plans to build a hospital in Clay County.
- 2006: St. Vincent’s HealthCare opens the Spine & Brain Institute and the Mary Virginia Terry Cancer Center
- 2007: Barrs Street is renamed Shircliff Way after Bob Shircliff, a former chairman of both the St. Vincent’s HealthCare Board and St. Vincent’s Foundation Board and a longtime friend and supporter of St. Vincent’s. Also, The River House, Mike Davidson Overnight Center and Gary and Nancy Chartrand Heart and Vascular Clinic open.
- 2008: St. Vincent’s HealthCare assumes operational control of St. Luke’s
- 2011: Construction begins on St. Vincent’s Medical Center Clay County
- 2012: St. Luke’s changes its name to St. Vincent’s Medical Center Southside
- 2013: St. Vincent’s Clay County opens to the public
- 2014: The physical presence of the Daughters of Charity ends at St. Vincent’s, though their Mission & Values continue to be the driving force behind the health system.
- 2015: St. Vincent’s begins construction to expand St. Vincent’s Clay County